Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Seitan Filet

I was inspired by Tracy of A Veg*n for Dinner. She quite recently posted a recipe on her blog for Seitan Filet Mignon.

Since I had darn near everything the recipe called for with a few minor creative substitutions and a quick supermarket search for vegan Worchestershire sauce, I attempted it. I did replace that sneaky anchovy sauce with a lovely UK brand called HP Sauce that used tomato instead of fish and dates instead of High Fructose Corn Syrup. I also used Penzey's vegetable base instead of 'beef' broth.

I went fancy and served this with slow sauted mushroom slices, roasted herbed fingerling potatoes and steamed broccoli.



I did find it a tich too salty for my tastes, but that could have been the salt in my veggie base and overly salty soy sauce. The seitan was tender, juicy and went quite well with the mushrooms. Even LB thought it was quite good. I have to admit though, it was a lot of work and not my favorite texture of seitan. Perhaps this is doable with a less labor intensive moist bake method. Something to experiment with!

Overall? Dinner was a rousing success! Thank you so very much Tracy.

5 comments:

Sam said...

Wow, that looks amazing!

Anonymous said...

it even looks like a rousing success! I love me some seitan. :)

Bee Roach said...

That looks really good! Nice move on the HP sauce. I loved it when I was living in London :) You've inspired me to pick some up!

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

cool. those potatoes look perfect

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

I was eyeing this just the other day and wondering if I could make a few creative substitutions myself without losing the original idea...

GREAT blog by the way, why have I never run across it?